Monday, January 09, 2006

Cover Your Ears, It's Time for Football!

"Aaaahhhh! Aaaahhhh! Aaaahhhh!" I screamed!

I jumped up, waving my arms in the air. Randal El had just taken the ball, run to the side a little, and passed the ball -- sideways -- to Rothlisberger! Then Rothlisberger calmly whaled the ball down the field for an uncontested touchdown pass.

That's not how football is played in the big leagues. That's neighborhood football that you play to piss off Johnny Think's-He's-A-Blocker from Fifth Street. But oh, my goodness, how it worked, so easy, so slick. And that move seemed to demoralize the Cincinnati Bengals. If the Pittsburgh Steelers would pull that kind of kiddie shit, who knew what else they might try?

I haven't watched many Steeler games in years. Every time I watched them, they'd lose. In fact, any time I watched football and hoped a team would win, the team I rooted for would lose. The family would instruct me who I should root for, in fact, letting me know days in advance. Last year, in spite of their great season, I watched a Steeler playoff game, and they looked like -- well, I'd say a bunch of Capuchin monkeys drafted from the trees to play, except that would really be an insult to the monkeys. So I didn't watch any games this year, banned from the TV room by my husband and son-in-law when the Steelers were playing. In fact, I was cordially invited to go lock myself in the studio while games were on.

Ah, but I love professional football, and the Steelers, since Bernie introduced me to them after we were married. Those were the days of the Steel Curtain, and Jack Lambert and the Terrible Towel, Mean Joe Greene, Mel Blount. Terry Bradshaw was the quarterback of my dreams, and Rocky Blier and Lynn Swan receivers to make any girl football junkie swoon.

After Bradshaw, the Steelers went through a veritable bestiary of quarterbacks (the worst of which was that POS gutless wonder Stout) and I would not watch while Stout was anti-playing and was advised not to watch (so that the Steelers did not end up looking like this season's Raiders*) while all the rest were playing.

But this year, based upon the strength and aplomb of Rothlisberger, when I timidly appeared in the doorway from the kitchen and asked if I should retire to the studio, Bernie said, "Get in here. It's about time these guys grew up!" I wiggled all over with anticipation and shuddered a bit with trepidation. What would happen to the Steelers with me watching?

Their first quarter sucked. I was sure I should leave and put my head in a bag, but I stuck it out. Then, when I was resigned to the Bengals beating the crap out of them (as they have all too many times in the past) Randal El and Rothlisberger pulled that stunt -- and that was It. The curse was broken, and I watched the rest of the game cheering until my throat hurt.

It still does. I wish I had that game on tape, though. I'd watch it over and over and over.

Unfortunately, the Colts are going to massacre them next weekend. But it was a hell of a run this year.


* Yes, I watched all the Raider games and cheered for them all the way. See what that got them?

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

Did you watch the Colts game, too? Whatever you are doing, shaman, keep it up.