Friday, January 20, 2006

Cold Temps, Yet Warm and Fuzzy Feelings

Lots of stuff today.

1. THERE WAS ICE ON THE RAINWATER PUDDLE ON THE FRONT PORCH THIS MORNING! Outrageous! Cold! Un-called for!

2. I uploaded Oz Can Keep Them All to Lulu.com. You can see it by checking the books link on the right side of this blog. Buy some. They're really kind of fun.

3. Thanks to a poster named "onin24eagle" and an expert named "TeMerc" at Sysinternals.com, we were able to download a tool that has apparently killed the hideous virus that invaded Bernie's computer, a dreaded Trojan.Zlob virus. The tool was built by a hero at this site, and whoever he is, (Noahdfear is his apellation) he has my undying admiration. As readers know, I spent a lot of time trying to kill that virus, unsuccessfully. The tool we downloaded seemed to eliminate it in under 10 minutes. What you thought was the West Wind was really just me heaving a great sigh of relief.

TeMerc also suggested this site with Nick's Computer Security, where we were directed to also download Ewido Security Suite. Now this was a special treat for me, since Ewido managed to axe two particularly annoying adware bits that I've been trying to get rid of since I bought this computer. And this is TeMerc's site, which I shall visit in the future, you betcha.

One of the things I learned today was that my computer was infested with all kinds of adware. I had known of a couple, suspected a few, but had no idea I'd had 259 items of adware on my machine. I'm clean and green now, but it is a fact that I'll be running Ewido every week to keep a clean machine.

Yes, all my files are backed up at a remote site and on disc as a security measure. But I'd rather have them right here, at hand, safe and sound as well.

4. Did I mention that it was really cold here??????

Okay. FOR here.

All of you who think 34 degrees isn't that bad should go ice skating.

No comments: