Wednesday, March 23, 2005

MF Word

I wonder if I can sue the creators of my word processing programs if I suffer a stroke because of their stupid programming.

I spent four hours editing my latest work -- but the last thirty minutes were spent trying to eradicate an ugly thick dotted line that had appeared where I had typed in three centered asterisks. Two years ago. The asterisks were there, happy as little fuzzy clams, until yesterday. Then they disappeared, replaced by the gross dotted line.

Now I know that machinery is only as clever as its operator. I know that If "A", then "B" is valid, the next time you have "A", then you'll have "B". MS Word doesn't do that. All I goddamn did to try to figure out why there was that ugly dotted line was to look at the auto-format menu and then exit by clicking on the "OK" button.

The dirty, rotten, son-of-a-bitching bastard wiped out all the line spacing I had done from the beginning of the 230-page document. Clicking on "undo" did NOTHING.

Back to page one, and I hope the shoddy slacker who wrote a program that sometimes works has a life filled with the karma of itchy body-lice and assorted fungi, and his/her supervisor who was pressing for speedy if inaccurate work double the repayment.

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

I never had these problems back when all I had was a typewriter. I had other problems, like pathetic typing skills, but at least what I typed stayed put.