Monday, January 10, 2011

What Is This Stuff?

Yesterday the weather forecast mentioned a low of 35 degrees, which is cold for here, but not all that unusual.

Alex watered everything (not that anything had dried out from the days and days of wretched fog) and felt we'd prepared well enough for a touch of frost.

She's already planning this year's garden, and noted that the "Last Freeze Date" for this area was listed as January 1st in her gardening book. I sputtered a bit and grumbled in my old hedge shaman way that February 14th was more likely.

I certainly didn't expect to be proven so right last night. When I got up this morning at 7:30, the temperature outside was 28 degrees, and there was ice in the birdbath, and icicles overhanging the fish pond.

I think some of our plants took a beating on this one.

No comments: