Thursday, January 13, 2011

Little Prophet

The black phoebe was on the deck beside the pool again yesterday, and this time, when I picked up my camera, the bird didn't immediately take off. I got a decent picture of him.

Sure enough, when I checked the weather forecast, they were calling for a chance of showers today. Why does the phoebe fly around by the pool only when it is going to rain? Do insects say to themselves, "Oh, no, it's going to rain, so I might as well drown myself in Pilarski's swimming pool before I have to go out and buy an umbrella?"

Late in the afternoon, we loaded the dogs into our car, and with Alex, Lil, and friend Mei-Mei in a second car, went for a walk in another park by the river. The fog had lifted, and the sun, as it set, was swimming in a watery haze. Thus the sky and the phoebe were in agreement.

There was one fairly heavy rain shower around noon, and then the clouds just milled around smoking cigarettes and threatening pedestrians for the rest of the day. But there was a different feel to the air, a different look to the light.

Yes, there will be some cold days yet, but I believe that tomorrow I will poke my head out the front door and hear Spring giggling.

No comments: