Monday, July 18, 2005

No Relief

The repairman can't get here today.

The company had an emergency come up (they put elderly and sick people at the front of the list of repairs, as well as mobile homes, which can quickly become People Ovens) and so we've been bumped back a day, maybe more. Now the weather service says that the high temperatures are probably going to last for at least another week. I truly want them to be wrong, as wrong as they were about the cool-down that was supposed to happen a few days ago.

I bought a voluminous red linen shirt a couple weeks ago. Maybe not even that long ago. In the mornings, when I would come inside from the tent and turn on the fans, it was chilly enough that I could slip the linen shirt on and drench myself in redness and comfort. The shirt is draped over the chair in my studio, waiting for a break in the heat, too.

Maybe this is what Kris called dhristi: the miserable heat not being enough, a small green bug bit me on the foot and left a nasty blister. And while I was sitting in the relative coolness of the mist machine, mosquitoes bit me twice on the ankles. They probably looked very juicy to the insects, as my feet and ankles are swollen from the heat. And while I had an appointment with the veterinarian to give Howie his rabies vaccination, they were to busy to do a quick exam to make sure that his continuing sickness isn't serious. All they had to do was take his temperature, for heaven's sake.

We still have the shaver I used to shave my head last September. Somewhere. Maybe Bernie hid it away until the heat wave is past, because I'm certainly tempted to get rid of this heavy blonde mop again...

5 comments:

Cheryl said...

I think your dhristi is catching. Our AC went wonky today. It's not totally out, but it is definitely sub-par.

I'm off to Kris's blog now to find out what herbs we are supposed to use for that.

Kris said...

I'll post a blog on how to remove dhristi shortly.

hehe, its gonna be fun!

Unknown said...

And is Howie's sickness serious? Poor thing.

My dog's sick too. And living in a place where temperatures average at 45 degree celsius isn't helping.

Aser said...

Howie will start antibiotics this evening, along with a bland rice and cottage cheese diet. The veterinarian thinks he will be fine in a few days.

Cheryl said...

Pats to Howie. Poor pup.

Our AC is back in working order. I hope yours is not far behind.

Kris, Aser and I are both always interested in home remedies of every sort. I look forward to dhristi removal.