Friday, July 01, 2005

Attack of the Stupids

You know how they show weather systems moving through an area on radar or on satellite images?

We've got a Stupid System moving through the West Coast. Yup. People have got the Stupids all over the place. On the way to work, Bernie's commute partner ran two red lights -- thought he had time to get through them before they turned. Our daughter inadvertently deleted ALL of her writing work -- hours and hours of work. "What was I thinking?" she asked.

"It was Stupid Weather," her father told her. "At the plant, even the machines got stupid and ended up shutting down the assembly line two hours early."

I knew it was Stupid Weather starting Wednesday. I could feel the Stupids coming on the wind, and didn't even want to leave my studio except to eat. I didn't want to try to create anything while in the depths of Stupid, so I ended up playing solitaire on the computer and reading on line comics most of the day. I was able to wash dishes without breaking any, so that was a good thing.

A man up the street was sitting in his garage in his car, honking the horn over and over again. Stupid.

A woman entered the restaurant where we had lunch, wearing black capri pants with a scarf as a belt, stiletto heels, and a tight tight tight pink shell top (she had to be in her 50's) and a hairdo like a toupee pasted on an army helmet. Stupid.

My mail-order pack of $10.00 supplements arrived today. The good folk based in Washington State had the invoice PERFECT -- however, what was in the box was over $100 worth of somebody else's order. Whoa, someone got the Stupid Weather big time.

The stupid tent stupidly ripped, leaving a hole in its dome that needed to be patched with duct tape.

Still in the throes of Stupid Weather, the supplement people sent me an apologetic note that said United Parcel Service would be by to pick up the erroneous shipment on Tuesday -- not remembering that the order was sent by USPS (United States Postal Service) in one of their Priority Mail boxes -- which UPS won't touch. That's okay. I have an old unlabeled box I can send the return in.

I understand getting the Stupids. That's why I've stayed home for a couple days.


this color = hoping I'm on the mend from the Stupids

4 comments:

Kris said...

Okay, maybe i'm a bit stupid. But i don't understand what the weather or the weather system had to do with anything. Maybe we don't have such things here down the place we live.

Aser said...

I could reply to this, but I think the explanation would be too long ... perhaps the next blog entry.

Kathy Keller said...

This reminds me of "Floating Dragon" by Peter Straub wherein a normal, suburbian man paints his house pink then lays in the front yard and grins happily like an idiot. Have you ever read it? It's a bit gruesome but probably my favorite Straub book.

Anonymous said...

"and a hairdo like a toupee pasted on an army helmet" HAHAHAHAHAHAHA