Friday, June 22, 2007

Ready to Roll

Today I bought a big-ass tent, big enough for two people and a dog.

We're leaving Sunday morning, probably before the sun is up. I have a veritable library of AAA travel guides, a pump that will plug into my dashboard outlet for the air mattress, and an ugly bag that Bernie can call his own.

The dog food and water are already in the car, though not yet properly stowed. Howie's vaccination record is in the glove box, and he, with a dog's ESP, keeps me in sight every possible minute.

I took Lillian's dad John with us to swim lessons this morning; Lil swam the whole way across the pool first thing, and at the last thing, held her breath well enough to get a toy from the bottom of the pool. Of all the reasons I'm NOT looking forward to this road trip, missing out on the last week of Lil's swim lessons is tops. I've enjoyed them far more than I had expected. After the lesson, John introduced himself to the instructor so that she would not be alarmed at a big strange hairy man picking up one of her students. He's good at that kind of stuff. I wouldn't have thought of that. But then part of me is in denial about making this trip.

Still, I keep on preparing. Tomorrow I'll mow the yards and Alex and I will go give the horse his vaccines, I'll pack the car, and we'll be poised for the adventure.

Tonight when Bernie comes home, we should put up the new tent so that we're not figuring out how to do that after 12 hours on the road. And make sure that the pump works! Extension cord, can't forget the extension cord. I did forget to buy a good flashlight today, dammit. (Tomorrow, I'll buy one tomorrow, put that on the list.)

Temps back in Pennsylvania are supposed to be in the merciful 80's; with the usual humidity, it will seem hotter than 95 degrees out here. I'm taking a cotton gauze outfit for "formal" attire. It's as baggy as a burkah but is about as cool as one can get. And since it's black, it won't show the dirt. The rest of the time I plan on wearing cutoffs and a sausage-shirt (one of those tight spaghetti-strapped deals that doesn't require support garments). It won't be pretty, but they can shut their eyes.

We've talked about what we hope to accomplish, and mostly it's just a fact-finding trip, although we want to at least get Mom's bills on automatic payment so she doesn't have the phone or the electricity shut off. I woke with an adrenaline start this morning realizing that I haven't seen any activity in her checking account for water and garbage pickup for the past three months.

Reading glasses, don't let me forget my reading glasses -- the whole checking the map thing could be nasty without them.

I'll pack two flat sheets that will fold up neatly rather than use a fitted sheet; no problem there with space taken up because the dog will sleep on them while we drive no matter what. One ruglike blanket for How in the tent. Minimal pillows, I'll have to tough it out not having my body pillow. But I suspect I'll be tired enough that I won't give a shit anyway.

I'm surprised that Bernie agreed to the tent thing. Heh. Wait till he sees this monster I bought today.

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

Got something suitable to wear to the campground showers? Got shoes that will tolerate mud? (It's been raining in the heartland.) Got No-Doz for western Nebraska?

Aser said...

Showers? Who said anything about showers? You'll be able to smell me a state away, so you won't be surprised when we pull up at your place!

Lydia Manx said...

Road tapes!!! (or cds) You know those are critical unless you really wanna hear all those C&W combined with the Gospel stations. *shudders*

Will keep you in my heart. Hugs to you both. L