Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Background Noise

The first step is the premise: Two adults will drive 2667-odd miles in a Pontiac Vibe with a big dog.

The second: Admitting the trip has to be made.

Step Three: Turn on brain.

That's where I am right now, just letting the puzzle run in the background of my thoughts. I'm not pushing it to a conscious problem-solving mode -- that's for figuring out how many pairs of underwear to pack. This process is more spatially-oriented ... I have a visual of the cargo area of the Vibe and a clear idea how much room a dog is going to need to be comfortable. Now, how does it all fit?

Part of the puzzle snapped together yesterday while I was out shopping for a kickboard for Lillian to use in the pool. An ugly orange bag caught my eye and the background process highlighted it. Ugly though it is, it has enough room for a week's worth of simple clothes, a laptop, and what toiletries I need -- and it is an absolutely perfect match for the space behind the front seats of the car and in front of the cargo area. It fits like it was made for it, and will still leave plenty of room under the front seats for a full case of water in easily handled bottles. Water, clothes, computer, check.

I also believe that a bag of dog food will fit in that area, between two of those bags. This is important because Howie eats only Canidae dog food. Because it's a quality food, he needs only a cup (8 oz) of food in the morning, and another cup at night to keep him in prime condition. The greater digestibility also means he poops less, therefore, fewer doggie doo-doo stops along the way. I don't see any way around taking a bag of the food, because there is no guarantee that we'll find any sold in very rural Pennsylvania.

We have to carry some sort of ice chest, I think, but we have some tiny ones that ought to serve. The decision has not yet been made about whether or not we are doing this going from cheap motel to cheap motel or campground to campground, so the tent is not definite. If we tent, we need not only the tent, but the mattress, some pillows (forget blankets, it's going to be in the summer) and a little pump.

(Electricity is no problem, I have a 115v outlet on the dashboard of the Vibe.)

A flashlight.

Jack In The Box is going to cater this trip, so I'm not worried about food. Hell, maybe I'll lose some weight.

Makers of the Vibe thoughtfully provided lots of storage compartments in the front seat area, enough for cell phone chargers, camera, pencils, and CD's.

Bernie has asked for a week's notice in advance. I think I'll probably know by the end of this week about when we have to go. Probably, but not positively.

Mom had an MRI this morning, and an EEG. As I understand it, the MRI will show if her dementia is Alzheimer's or not.

I was looking at the stages of the disease, and was saddened to see how far along Mom appears to be. The other day when I called her, she said that she thought I had called earlier in the day. "At least I thought it was you on the phone," she told me. "But it must have been someone else. Or maybe it was yesterday."

I keep wondering how long it will take before she doesn't remember who I am anymore.

2 comments:

Lydia Manx said...

Geeze that is a lot to absorb. A week notice is what Bernie wants or his bosses need?

Hugs.

Cheryl said...

Will your trip take you along I-80? If so, you know who to call for hugs and a sit-down meal.

Or with a little pre-planning, I/we could meet up with y'all on I-70.