Thursday, July 07, 2011

Lovely Things!

Bernie called my attention this morning to some rose petals that had fallen on the new granite counter top.

Beautiful petals, beautiful stone, rich in color. Nothing would do but a photo shoot, and I decided to include the little antique, because it looks so perfect on the granite.

Alex was fascinated with the antique honey-server when she was a toddler. She was drawn almost hypnotically to its bee hive sides, even though the images of the bees in the glass frightened her. At three years old, Alex was precocious, but not infallible. One afternoon she clandestinely lifted the glass lid ... and fumbled it in fear of the bees. To her tiny life's credit, she owned up to the broken lid immediately.

Even intact, I had nothing I could really use a honey server for -- I don't serve honeycombs, like my mother before me rarely served honeycombs. A couple weeks ago I came across the little dish in the back of the top shelf of the laundry room, dusty and hidden behind cleaning supplies and sponges. I brought it out and washed it up, and found that it was the PERFECT holder for our salt and pepper shakers, accommodating the collection as though it was made for that purpose.

So Alex, had you never broken the lid, we wouldn't have thought of using the Bee Dish, and it would have lived out its days gathering dust and nothing more.

Here's another Lovely Thing: I decided today to help Lillian put her art work (at least some of it) up on my Resolution Every Day blog. She and I will share that space, and perhaps it will encourage us both to be more creative.

P.S. I figured out how to get rid of the pinstripes and get back to black. Hee!

No comments: