Friday, October 13, 2006

Autumn Images

Last Saturday Bernie and I went for a walk.

I packed along my camera, thinking I might find a bit of fall color for this blog. Well, you're looking at it. It's still too early for the liquidambar and Chinese pistache trees to turn color, and most of the rest of the trees turn shades of brown, except for the sycamores in the neighborhood, which turn brown with mildew spots.

In a week or so, the gingkos and cottonwoods ought to have a little color to them, too.

In the meantime, there is this flower, which looks to me like a gaillardia of some type, a plant which blooms most of the summer and loves heat and sun, doesn't need much water, and will reseed itself if it gets the chance. This particular variety is more compact than most, and the seed heads are rather attractive.

I don't particularly like gaillardia, so the beautiful display of color in an otherwise drab season is just all the more annoying.
On the other hand, the lower angle of the sun in the early evening does wonderful things for the horsetail grass in the water garden.

I love the way it makes the stems look as though they are lit from within.

Work on the Piker Press continues apace, with wonderful new stories submitted by Jerry Seeger, one of which will grace the front page of the Press on October 16. I'm hoping that during November, I don't have to do anything but write until my fingers hurt.

It seems like such a long time since I was able to do that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I liked the horsetail grass. Is it as crazy as bamboo? I need to get my camera out in the middle of this fall frenzy.

Lydia