Saturday, June 24, 2006

Heat Wave

There was a song, a long time ago, called "Heat Wave."

The song made it out that a heat wave was groovy, perhaps even ginchy, in the vernacular of the time. Or maybe it didn't. I never listened to the song with more than half an ear, to be honest. As a kid, I was a linguistic snob, and if I couldn't clearly understand the lyrics to a song, I dismissed it. Did the song even have a melody?

Well, we're in a true "heat wave" now, and the breeze is like standing in front of Hell's exhaust fans. You can feel your skin shrivel after a few minutes.

The indigenous people of this area are frequently shown in old drawings as wearing no clothing. I can understand why. How did they survive without air conditioning? Why, they betook themselves to the river, which, fed by the meltoff of last winter's snow, is still one chilly watercourse even in the hottest bit of the summer.

We were guests at a lovely party today, but the air conditioning was iffy and the nearest swimming pool was warmish.

No clothes and a nearby river would have been preferable.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will always remember "Heat Wave". One gal used the number during a flame colored dance in high school. Later a horrid show, a guilty pleasure of mine, had a character use the song and dance 'hotly' with the janitor.

Not as wickedly hot down my way but still nasty. No a/c here just a fan and minimal cotton clothes.

I get the naked part.

Anonymous said...

grrr...that was 'me' Lydia if you hadn't figured it out. *sigh*