Tuesday, January 01, 2008

2008 - The Year I Get Whitewashed


Happy New Year! Look at all those hog finches!

I started last Christmas with one sock, wondering if I would be able to attract any goldfinches to my back yard. Hah! When I saw 12 goldfinches hanging from that one sock, I went out and bought another.

This Christmas, in an orgy of finchiness, I bought two more, wondering how many finches would show up. (Only three of the socks are in this picture; the fourth is outside the window above my desk.)

It's amazing how much nyger seed these little piggies eat. I'm now buying it by the 20-lb sack, and the finches easily empty the socks in a day, especially if a storm is on the way. That's okay. I never tire of watching them.

When I was a kid, I used to walk through the shoulder-high grass of a small field across the street, and see flocks of goldfinches fly up and swoop away ahead of me. They were one of my favorite birds back then, and still are.

The only problem I see with my finch addiction is the birdshit that speckles the patio, the lemon tree, the barbecue, the front walk, the window above my desk, the outdoor fireplace, the lawn furniture ...

1 comment:

Lydia Manx said...

Sounds like you are quickly becoming the bird keeper of the hood ;-)