Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Unwelcome Tomorrow

Too many sad entries in this blog, but it's a sad time of life.

My sister had to be put back on a ventilator in ICU after a second heart attack. Both of them have been mild, but they are real, and Jan is weakening. Today when I talked to the hospital staff, she was once again breathing on her own, and a "little more cooperative" ... hope again, with more hopes that our hopes won't be dashed.

I had the nurse in ICU ask Jan if she wanted her sister to come sit with her. The nurse told me that at the mention of my name, Jan's eyes widened noticeably. That's enough of a yes for me; I'm headed back to keep her company tomorrow before the sun is up.

My bag is packed, but unlike the "Jet Plane" song, I'm not ready to go. Being parted from my immediate family, especially Bernie, feels like my heart is being torn to pieces.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Awwww Sand - my heart if full for you. And my prayers are with you ... and Jan. I hope she makes a good recovery from this latest setback. You are doing the right thing. She needs you, and I think you need her too.

*hugs*