Thursday, July 05, 2007

Night Two of the Return: Rawlins, Wyoming

I'm so tired my body can't understand that it's exhausted.

We covered 950 miles today, from Davenport, Iowa to Rawlins, Wyoming. Bernie dozed for a while today while I drove out a tankful of gas on the long, long, long, mobius strip of Nebraska. He likes to drive; driving makes me irritable and nervous. Riding as a passenger makes him faintly motion-sick; the only problem I have with being a passenger is the amount of shit I muster around my feet (maps, tourbooks, purse, camera, bottles of water, notebook, etc.)

We're hoping to be home again tomorrow night sometime. I'll drive in Nevada, at least. 80 mph and no challenges, I can do that. Bernie can sleep and then take us through the winding mountain lanes over the Sierras.

Howie continues to be perfect, though I can see that he's a bit tired of the stress of traveling, too. He has a hard time focusing on taking a pee and poop if both his "parents" aren't in sight. He's going to be a case once we're home and one of us has to leave -- or both -- and he's not loaded into the car.

Not wishing to insult Nebraska at all ... the rest stops were lovely, the regularity of I-80's services adequate (except for toilet seat covers, which Nebraskan authorities really ought to consider), and the people were nice ...

God help us, Nebraska looks the same from Omaha to Kearney. That's a lot of hours where everything looks like what you saw five minutes before. Hours. Something like eight or nine hours where everything looks the same as it did five minutes before. Even the road kills of possum, raccoon, and deer are indistinguishable. I had to turn on the radio in order to keep myself in crabby adrenaline for driving. Otherwise, I would have fallen asleep from sheer lack of sensory input. Nice state -- but where do they have a Macy's??

Put that also on the list for Nebraskan legislators. Thank you.

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

Rural Nebraska doesn't need Macy's. They have farm supply stores.

Anonymous said...

Howie won't have time to be a case with Sebastian attached to his butt like a gigantic monochromatic dingleberry of insecurity. Sebastian barfed mightily last night. Between fourth of July and missing family, his nerves are shot.

Well. The pieces of ottoman among the remains probably didn't help either.

Lydia Manx said...

Ohhhh...you didn't save that for a surprise?

Told you Road Rage Tapes/CDs Sand. I swear by them.

Anonymous said...

I was once driving in Nebraska when a friend quipped, "It's not 110 miles, it's the same mile 110 times."