Wednesday, August 10, 2005

And the heat goes on

A high-pressure air system continues to dominate the Central Valley, making it impossible for the Delta breezes to cool the Valley at night. Add to that the noxious crepe myrtle blossoms, and myriad palm blossoms, and hey presto, you've got a pollen-laden air lying thick as over-cooked soup. Bernie told me to sleep indoors tonight because of how badly I've been coughing in my sleep. I had thought I was only coughing badly after I got up and came inside. Oh, well. Indoors it is.

Howie will be pleased, as he will get to sleep on the bed beside me.

In normal summers, we would sit outside to watch for the Perseid meteor shower in heavy robes, flannel pants, and thick socks, with a fire in a little twig-stove to keep our toes warm. This summer is the first summer that I threw the quilt out onto the patio for the older dog to sleep on rather than have it inside the tent as a necessity. What a freakish summer this has been.

Tomorrow night is the Perseid Meteor Shower climax. May the mercy of God grant us an opportunity to see it.

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

If you see the Perseids, tell them Hey for me. It's raining here, and supposed to keep raining.