Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Simple Things, Incredible Things

Today I watched the rescue of the Chilean miners on the BBC, on their live broadcast.

Honestly, when I first heard of the disaster, I didn't think the miners had any chance of survival. So I didn't follow their story, didn't think about them beyond a  "God have mercy on their souls."

Then I heard they had a chance of rescue, but that might be four months in the future. Would they go mad? Would they die of hunger or thirst, or bad sanitation? I shut my eyes and didn't want to think about it.

Then there was the drilling, with the hope of getting them out through a hole and a specially-made capsule. I still kept aloof, not wanting to be disappointed in my wish for things to turn out well.

Today I was unable to keep away from my computer monitor, watching the miners being brought up, one by one. I was unable to leave the site alone, until all the miners were above ground. My soft heart made me leak tears as I watched each miner exit the escape device.

Thank God they are out, out of the tomb, and pray God that they learned something about Life in their trial.

No comments: