Friday, May 30, 2008

Still Baby-Sitting the Process

It seems like hours since I last posted, but obviously that isn't the case.

I blame it on the new laptop, as I have only installed AVG Free Virus Protection on it until I decide what all I want to spend, and I refuse to surf or mess around on the internet with the New and Glitzy until it is adequately protected.

And of course, I'm continuing to write my someday-to-be-serialized-in-the-Piker Press novel, "Transitions" on it. Not going to risk an infection; not going to stop writing. The new laptop is in quarantine, except from me.

It seems like days since I sat down at the computer this morning. In reality, it's only been 14 hours. My ass is mighty tired.

I've had breaks: I get up when my buns are aching so bad I can't think anymore; I did get off the exam stool I use as seating to make lunch for me and Bernie; I hobbled up to the mailbox, and did other quick tasks before perching before the screen again. I proof-read, formatted, and loaded in excess of 20 articles to the Press.

What could possibly make me so assiduous? Why, only this: I subscribed to "Geek Squad" and their online auto-backup service. They'll back up my shit automatically for $50/year. Daily. DAILY. No more freak outs at losing stuff.

However, the first dump of files to their secure retrieval site is taking forever. And since this ass-hat computer feels compelled to hibernate every ten minutes if there's no activity, I've been here holding its ass-hat hand all day ... and because playing Spider Solitaire for 14 hours isn't all that appealing, I've been working on the Press.

I don't know why it's taking so long to transfer the files. I have observed that .psd's take forever to transfer. And with all the cover art and practice pieces, I have a lot of .psd's. Damn.

Currently the thing says that 75% of my files are saved. I think I have to just let this machine hibernate and pick up where it left off in the morning.

Oh, and it's about 10 - 15 degrees colder than it should be at this time of year, here. That doesn't help.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The first time I backed up my MacBook it took forever, like five or six hours, and that was to a local drive Using Time Machine. After that it goes really quickly. I'd write more but I have to get working on the rest of "Ridge Walker".

Lydia Manx said...

I just took Nathan to breakfast after he installed 2 gig more of RAM in my laptop and he backed up my pictures and writing in my 2 gig flash drive. He does this monthly for me. My own geek squad!!