Thursday, April 12, 2007

A Find in the Closet: Gordon Grant

I was rearranging bookshelves, wanting to get all the artsy-fartsy instruction books all in one place where both Alex and I could gorge on them at will.

There was a shelf of them in a bookcase in my closet in the studio, and I was disgusted to find how dusty they were. Then I pulled out a folder that had an old print in it.

I've loved this picture of a ship since I was a little kid, and had it on the bulletin board of my bedroom desk for as long as I can remember having a desk. (LONG TIME.) When I did a painting of a ship for my friend Deb's birthday (her husband commissioned me to do it) I relied on the colors of this painting when I was doing the ocean, and the colors of the sails of the ship in the distance was formative, also.

So, seeing the brown and crumbling edges of the print, I was inspired to scan it, so that I can have it at my fingertips.

This was the signature on the print: "Gordon Grant."

I googled him, hoping to find a copy of the print, or at least its name. I found neither. There were a number of entries under his name, but most of the work that was presented were black and white sketches. Gordon Grant was fond of maritime artwork, and died in 1962, about the time I first discovered this old print --- I don't even remember where I came across it, I was so young.

Suddenly I realized that a piece of paper I've dragged around the country for the past 30-odd years is irreplaceable. I put it in a safe paper press, and will probably have it formally framed in the not too distant future.

Thank you, Mr. Grant.

No comments: