Saturday, January 27, 2007

Golumpki Day!

Aren't they the cutest little things?

Those are the first three golumpki to grace my pressure-cooker this afternoon. They are so neat, so tidy -- so looking forward to being Lunch!

I saw a cabbage that was really fine-looking the other day, and decided that the winter weather needed golumpki to cheer things up a bit.

Ohhh, I was right. We snarfed golumpki today like it was the only thing to save us from starvation. (and that was after spaghetti for breakfast!)

My recipe for golumpki is over at the Piker Press, in the archives, in an article called "Golumpki: Cooking Under Pressure" but I think it bears a repetition here.

A whole head of cabbage, one egg, and one onion. The onion can be big or small, depending on how much you like onion. (I like it a lot, and use one large yellow onion.)

1 1/2 to 2 pounds of hamburger (ground beef) with the finely-chopped onion added to it, and salt, pepper, and garlic powder.

I cook up a cup of rice, and then add as much as seems good to the beef and onion. One egg makes it all hold together. All this stuff is easiest to mix with a potato masher.

Now, the cabbage. I put a huge pot of water on to boil, and when it is boiling, I add my cored head of cabbage, pulling off 16 leaves as they soften. What's left of the head of cabbage after the 16 leaves, I throw into the Cuisinart and chop up finely, and then mix that in with the meat and rice and onion, too.

I wrap the meat and rice mixture in the leaves, close them with toothpicks, and cook them in pressure cookers, with tomato sauce poured over them, at 15 lbs pressure for 8 minutes.

Served with mashed potatoes, with the liquid from cooking drizzled over them --- exquisite.

I plan on getting up early so that I can have the leftovers for breakfast.

No comments: