Wednesday, July 19, 2006

The Toad and I

This morning, I took Howie outside, and noticed a toad swimming in the pool.

I fished it out and put it in the garden. An hour later I was back outside, and the toad was back in the pool, this time sitting on my pink inflatable raft.

This is probably the fifth time this year I've hauled the toad out of the swimming pool. Today I thought I had a solution, though: take the toad on a journey to the new water garden in the front of the house!

The toad leaped out of the dishtowel in which I had caught it, right into the new pool. It swam across the little pond into a water plant. See? Doesn't that look much more natural? Apparently "natural" not what the toad wanted, because it left the pond in about 15 minutes. I don't know where it went; I'm hoping that the toad is not carrying a GPS with the swimming pool's coordinates on it.

No comments: